Friday 1 February 2019

Book Review: Remember Me?


Author: Sophie Kinsella
Genre: Romance, Chick-lit
Type: Fiction


I reread this book after 8 years and still love it as much as I did the first time. Thanks to POPsugar prompt 7 - A reread of a favourite book.


Sophie Kinsella is one of my regular authors and I find her works equivalent to a comfort food. If I am not in mood for any heavy book Sophie Kinsella is my go-to author.

The plot is simple.What sort of twisted position would it be if you wake up one day to find 3 years of your life is missing from your memory. The same happens to Lexie Smart where she wakes up in a hospital and remembers nothing of her past 3 years. She is perplexed at how rich, good looking and career driven she is. And she is married to a handsome real-estate businessman. She concludes that she has got a perfect life and tries to fit in. Slowly she realises her life is mechanical and she has lost her close friends in the journey up the career ladder. Then comes a blow in the form of an architect. So the plot swivels around if Lexie gets back her memory and returns to her new lifestyle or stays the old self and resolves her issues. 

This is one of the typical Sophie Kinsella templates where a young woman is struggling with personal life and career ends up in a mess. The writing is simple and I did not find it anywhere boring. I did find the Porsche element in the end a bit unconvincing. Eric the husband, Jon the architect, Lexie’s friends, her mom and sister share some space in the story. 

The plot is from Lexi’s point of view and there is humour and romance like all her books. I had loved it when I had read it for the first time. But when I started it again now I knew only the plot but the scenes seemed to be entirely new. I think along with Lexie even I got amnesia. So it was more of reading a new book rather than a re-read. I like how there aren’t many incidents in the book that projects Lexie reacting stupidly to crisis. The characters are a bit mature than what I have read in other chick-lit novels. Overall it was a good read for me.

Verdict: I recommend this for all the chick-lit fans and those who enjoy reading mild dose of romance and humour. This will always be in my reread list of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment